All Blog Posts With Tag:
- Dear Karl Barth, What does Election mean to Individuals? : August 28, 2016
In Karl Barth’s Doctrine of Election, Jesus Christ is the only elected individual, and no other individual is elected like Jesus (Act 4:12), but in him (c.f. Eph 1:4) all people are included in his election (1 Cor 15:22). Since Barth was not a Universalist, this syllogism indicates that there may be individuals […]
- Karl Barth was a PostCalvinist and not an Evangelical Calvinist : February 12, 2016
In 1922, Karl Barth loved John Calvin so much that he wrote a letter to his friend Eduard Thurneysen to confess that he could spent the rest of his life with Calvin alone! (♥) This short letter, which I’ve quoted below, has become so famous that anytime Calvin and […]
- Karl Barth on how Double Predestination is the Horrible Decree of a Dystopian Gospel : January 27, 2015
Welcome sign to Hell, Michigan (source: wikipedia)
The doctrine of predestination has undergone substantial renovation and development over time. Augustine and Thomas considered election and reprobation as two separate dogmas, where the active election of men from the mass of perdition was a distinctive act that is separate from the act […]
- John Calvin confessed that Double Predestination is a Horrible and Dreadful Decree : May 31, 2014
Stradanus (1523–1605) Illustration of Dante’s Inferno, Canto 8 (1587)
The Moltmanniac once said, “John Calvin didn’t like Double Predestination, but he thought it was true.” The following two quotations are from the Institutes of the Christian Religion where John Calvin explicitly calls the decretum absolutum a Horrible Decree! Is it not […]
- Jonathan Edwards On God’s People Not In The Visible Church : June 10, 2011
I came across Jonathan Edwards interesting incite into how a people group may be consider God's elect or chosen people, but also be enemies and outside of the universal visible Church. A more concise summary is in this Edward's document:Misrepresentati...
- Karl Barth’s Doctrine of Election: Double Predestination in Jesus Christ : April 18, 2011
Karl Barth's Church Dogmatics Vol II.2 is the second half-volume of his "Doctrine of God" and contains Barth's Doctrine of Election. Barth emphasizes his admiration of Calvin's Doctrine of Election, and explains its superiority biblical basis to compet...
- Freedom of the Will by Jonathan Edwards : November 14, 2009
I purchased and read the new Yale paperback edition of Jonathan Edward's The Works of Jonathan Edwards, Vol. 1: Freedom of the Will. Normally, each volume of the Yale Edition of Edward's Works costs over $100! but recently three of the volume were rele...