All Blog Posts With Tag:
- Dear Karl Barth, What does Election mean to Individuals? : August 28, 2016
In Karl Barth’s Doctrine of Election, Jesus Christ is the only elected individual, and no other individual is elected like Jesus (Act 4:12), but in him (c.f. Eph 1:4) all people are included in his election (1 Cor 15:22). Since Barth was not a Universalist, this syllogism indicates that there may be individuals […]
- Karl Barth was a PostCalvinist and not an Evangelical Calvinist : February 12, 2016
In 1922, Karl Barth loved John Calvin so much that he wrote a letter to his friend Eduard Thurneysen to confess that he could spent the rest of his life with Calvin alone! (♥) This short letter, which I’ve quoted below, has become so famous that anytime Calvin and […]
- Bruce McCormack on Double Predestination is not the Central Doctrine of John Calvin and classical Reformed theology : May 19, 2014
Orthodox and Modern: Studies in the Theology of Karl Barth, by Bruce L. McCormack
Friedrich Schleiermacher was a Calvinist, and although he is known as the father of Liberal Protestantism for his definition of god as “a feeling of absolute dependence”, he was nevertheless a Calvinist and John Calvin was his […]
- Second Council of Orange against the Semi-Pelagians : June 27, 2012
Saint Caesarius of Arles presided overthe Second Council of Orange 529 A.D.
The Second Council of Orange (529A.D.) is an anomaly in Denzinger’s Sources of Catholic Dogma because it is a surprising twist and turn where not only the Pelagians are anathamized, but also the Semi-pelagians! The Second Council of Orange was […]
- Karl Barth’s Doctrine of Election: Double Predestination in Jesus Christ : April 18, 2011
Karl Barth's Church Dogmatics Vol II.2 is the second half-volume of his "Doctrine of God" and contains Barth's Doctrine of Election. Barth emphasizes his admiration of Calvin's Doctrine of Election, and explains its superiority biblical basis to compet...
- Freedom of the Will by Jonathan Edwards : November 14, 2009
I purchased and read the new Yale paperback edition of Jonathan Edward's The Works of Jonathan Edwards, Vol. 1: Freedom of the Will. Normally, each volume of the Yale Edition of Edward's Works costs over $100! but recently three of the volume were rele...